суббота, 14 ноября 2015 г.

Introduction to Strider (Aragorn): "All that is gold does not glitter"

  Quotes from J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" "The Fellowship of the Ring" (book 1, volume two), chapter 10 "Strider".
   Strider says about himself:
   "I have hunted many wild and wary things and I can usually avoid being seen, if I wish."
    The following extracts, from which a reader learns about Strider's character and appeaance.
  " 'No, I don't think any harm of old Butterbur. Only he does not altogether like mysterious vagabonds of my sort.' Frodo gave him a puzzled look. 'Well, I have rather a rascally look, have I not?' said Strider with a curl of his lip and a queer gleam in his eye. 'But I hope we shall get to know one another better. ... ' "
   " ' ... You can do as you like about my reward: take me as a guide or not. But I maysay that I know all the lands between the Shire and the Misty Mountains, fo I have wandered over them for many years. I am older than I look. I might prove useful. ...' "
   Frodo got a letter from Gandalf (which had been delivered by Mr Butterbur).
  "... You can trust the landlord (Butterbur). You may meet a friend of mine on the road: a Man, lean, dark, tall, by some called Strider. He knows our business and will help you. ...
 PPS. Make sure that it is the real Strider. There are many strange men on the roads. His true name is Aragorn.
  All that is gold does not glitter,
  Not all those who wander are lost;
  The old that is strong does not wither,
  Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
  From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
  A light from the shadows shall spring,
  Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
  The crownless again shall be king. "

  Frodo and his friends had some doubts, and Strider's answer was this.
  Frodo's word were:
 '... I think one of his spies would -- well, seem fairer and feel fouler., if you understand.'
 'I see," laughed Strider. "I look foul and feel fair. Is that it? All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.'
  'Did the verses apply to you then?' asked Frodo. 'I couldn't make out what they wer about. But how did you know that they were in Gandalf's letter, if you have never seen it?'
  'I did not know,' he answered. 'But I am Aragorn, and those verses go with that name.' He drew out his sword , and they saw that the blade was indeed broken a foot below the hilt. 'Not much use is it, Sam?' said Strider. 'But the time is near when it shall be forged anew.' "

Комментариев нет: